The fall is a great time to make yummy soups! So here are two of my favorites!
Chicken Vegetable Alfredo Soup
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions (I leave this out-allergies)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 can (14-14.5 ounces) chicken broth
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 tbsp snipped basil
1 jar (16 ounces) Alfredo sauce
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese
What to do:
1. Chop broccoli, carrots, and onion. Dice the bell pepper. Place broccoli, carrots, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a saucepan. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, dice chicken and snip the basil; set aside. Add chicken and Alfredo sauce to broth; simmer 5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat; stir basil into soup.
3. If desired, ladle soup into bread bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 4 servings(about 5 1/2 cups)
I will give a bread bowl recipe later.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook
2 tbsp butter
3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (8 oz) package sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
2 tsp minced garlic
2 (14 ounce) cans roasted garlic-flavored chicken broth (I could not find this last time I made the soup- so I used regular chicken broth and added some garlic)
3 (6 ounce) packages roasted chicken breast chunks (I just cooked some chicken breast and cut it up)
1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground pepper
2 cups whipping cream
What to do:
1. Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook 4 minutes or until almost tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
2. Combine mushroom mixture, broth, and next 6 ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until rice is tender. Stir in whipping cream.
Makes 12 1/2 cups.