I am always up for trying new recipes so here is one I came across in the Spring/Summer 2008 Season's Best- The Pampered Chef cookbook: Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad
4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops
1 small red onion divided (I will not be using this-allergic to onions)
2 plum tomatoes
3/4 lb 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup finely diced dill pickles
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
What to do:
1. preheat oven 425- slice bun tops into 1/4 inch strips and bake 8-10 minutes
2. slice onions and cut tomatoes into quarters lengthwise and slice crosswise
3. cook ground beef until no longer pink, breaking it into crumbs
4. in a bowl combine onion, pickles, ketchup, and mustard- add the cooked beef to the bowl and mix well
5. To serve- arrange the lettuce on a large platter. Spoon the beef mixture over lettuce. Top with cheese, tomatoes, and sliced onion. Arrange the hamburger buns around the edge of the platter. Serve immediately.
I usually make enough to have leftovers the night after. This may not work for you, but I find that it saves money and time (not to mention we eat smaller portions). This week the menu is easy and basically whatever I have the ingredients for already.
We are back from our little vacation and I am ready to write. I will be sharing some recipes that I will be making this week in another post.
Meal Plan Idea
I do enjoy cooking. I find it easiest to make a calendar for the month. I know that seems like a long time, but I would rather get it out of the way! I make the calendar, then I write on it what we will eat each night. I have my list ready and write down ingredients that I will need for each recipe and then shop every two weeks ( I actually make up two lists one for the first two weeks and the other for the rest). With two little ones it is hard to fit them and everything in the cart!
It is the easiest way I have found to stay organized, know what we are eating head of time, and look forward to cooking instead of staring at the refrigerator hoping something will jump out at me!
Click HERE for my September Menu. It is just the calendar. I write on it in pencil in case I have to erase or make changes for any reason.