I got this recipe from the $5 Dinners Site- that is why there are prices. Go here to see the original post.
1 cup black beans ($.40)- I used canned to save time!
1 cup white rice ($.20)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles ($.50)
2 cups frozen corn ($.44) On sale last week for $.88/bag
1/2 onion, chopped ($.15)
2 cups leftover shredded chicken ($2)
1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.03)
2-4 oz shredded cheddar cheese ($.65) On sale for $1.25/8 oz this week!!!
Couple Handfuls of Tortilla chips ($.50)
1. Soak 1 cup of black beans overnight, or for at least 2 hours in HOT water. Drain and rinse. Add to saucepan with at least 2 inches of water covering the beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for about an hour and a half. (You could substitute 2 cans of black beans, but they are not as healthy nor as frugal as cooking your own!)
2. Cook 1 cup of white rice.
3. In large skillet, add diced tomatoes, 2 cups frozen corn, chopped onion, shredded chicken, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Turn on medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes while rice is cooking.
4. Once rice and black beans are finished cooking, add to the skillet with the chicken mixture. Cook for about 10 minutes, giving the flavors time to mix and mingle in the skillet!
5. Shred 2-4 oz. of favorite cheddar cheese. Stir into the casserole. (Omit if GFCFSF or casein free!) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve Mexican Chicken Skillet. Scoop with tortilla chips!